Friday, April 17, 2015

My Reply to the Patriots

B.  Mi respuesta a los patriotas/My Reply to the Patriots
Introduction
Salarrué continued throughout his life to feel a deep attachment to the land now known as the Republic of El Salvador but once called Cuscatlán by its nahuatl-speaking inhabitants. Indeed, he believed that the pre-Colombian history and mythology of his country were more real than the presidents and politicians of the Republic. As an artist of independent inclinations and also a humane and compassionate individual, he was torn between the desire to support progressive social movements and the need to remain outside of the rules and restrictions of political parties. So, when called upon to take a side against the government of Maximiliano Hernández Martínez following the massacre of an estimated 30,000 citizens by government troops in 1932, he publicly declared his allegiance to the land rather than to any government in a courageous and controversial open letter, “Mi respuesta a los patriots”/My Reply to the Patriots, first published in the Repertorio Americano in 1932.

My Reply to the Patriots
            My friends have said to me, "You are so calm, you look at the world with half-closed eyes.  You live in a land of enchantment, in an unreal world whose shores never feel the pounding of waves from here below.  For that very reason you should speak out now, when our fatherland is going through uncertain times.  Focus your microscope and tell us what you see and how it looks to you, it will surely help us, do it for the sake of patriotism, for the love of our nation, plant your feet on the ground, even if just for this once."  And then they laugh.  I understand that they say this partly in jest, as friends, with the affection we crazy pacifists inspire, and partly in utter seriousness and that is why I have felt perplexed and then I have felt misunderstood, seen as lazy and worthless, living in an implausible world.  And I am indignant, for my honor as a man has been questioned and so, like the voice crying out in the desert, I write this reply to the nameless patriots.

            I have no patria or nation.  I do not know the meaning of the word.  You who think of yourselves as practical, how do you define patria?  I know that to you it means a collection of laws, an administrative machine, a patch on a gaudy-colored map.  You practical ones call that the patria.  I, the dreamer, have no patria, I have no nation, but I do have a homeland, made of earth, that I can touch.  I do not have El Salvador, fourteen segments on a piece of glossy paper; I have Cuscatlán, a region of the world and not a vague entity such as a nation.  I love Cuscatlán.  While you speak of the Constitution, I sing of the earth and of our race: the earth, that swells and bears fruit; the race of creative dreamers who without discussion or argument, work the soil, shape clay into vessels, weave blankets and build roads.  I am of this race; I am a builder, a creator, a shaper of forms and also one who understands.  Most of you play at patriotism, fighting about who is wrong or right, about whether or not something is constitutional, whether Pedro or Pablo will be president, whether this or that "ism" will make the nation prosper.  Prosperity for you means having everything except our mother earth. 
            Dull-witted, lazy, cruel and thieving capitalists confront no less cruel, petty and rapacious communists.  While these two sides snarl at each other over every issue, we the dreamers ask for nothing because we have everything.  They fight over the peels and leave us the fruit.  "The bread is mine, all mine," some cry, "let me sell the bread."  While others say, "No, we are hungry and the bread is ours, because the land is ours."  Meanwhile, we the dreamers grow the wheat that beautifies the countryside; we delight in the music of the cornfield that smiles with the breeze; singing, we gather the corncobs for the pigs to chew.  The owner of the coffee plantation is a pedant who talks about the market, about the rise and fall of prices.  He counts his money leaning over a table, he sniffs at the sacks of coffee, but he has never lain in the fields and felt the mystery of moonlit nights; he does not notice the beauty of the blood-red beans as they slip through the fingers of the women who sing as they pick; he does not appreciate the fragrance of the coffee blossom or know its legend.  The owner of the sugar plantation has never heard the comforting whisper of the cane fields or walked between the rows of graceful plants.  They all shout about one thing: money.  Some want to earn 500% and others want higher wages.  The communist wears a red badge and would guillotine the wrongdoers, insists that justice is the sharing of good bread and good wine, but has never known how to share with those who have everything, who in fact have nothing.  The Indian of the plow and the sickle, who creates our agrarian landscape under a blazing sun, is content that he can, with his rough and soiled hands, hands of God, feed an entire nation, a nation that devotes itself to a madness called politics, a madness that is not only fruitless but harmful.  This Indian lives the earth and is the earth and never talks about patriotism.  Nor does he fear the foreigner who, short of taking his life, can take nothing from him that is truly his.
            I who, according to you, live in some other world, am closer than you to the heart of the earth, my roots go deep and my desire to flower reaches up to the sky.  If one day the land of Cuscatlán were to rise up and call to her children, I would be one of the first she would embrace, not the politicians and ideologues of this thing called the patria: El Salvador, with its symbols, its shields, its flags and imaginary boundaries.  No, I am not a patriot nor do I wish to be one.  I hold a patriotic banana in higher esteem than I do a patriotic man, so don't talk to me about being honorable.  And I do not work for the paper Patria, I work for Life: for living, for the land, for my home, as Espino would say.  In my home, complete with dreams, I live a real life, a life that is savored, like sacred wine.  I neither plow nor plant nor harvest; I officiate before the altar and give thanks in the name of the dreamers gathering invisible fruit plucked from the tree of life and the vine of tradition. 
            What is this thing called patria that I do not see?  You ask me to come down to your level and I do not know where to plant my feet; everywhere I look I find quicksand.  If I were to invite you to my homeland, you would find ample room to run and sweat, you could plunge your hands in fresh clay and fill your lungs with clean air.  In that patria of yours I breathe only hate, cowardice, misunderstanding.
            What I wouldn't give to bring you to this land of mine!  Those few who were here with me have gone; I find myself practically alone.  Alone with the pensive Indian and the dreaming woman.  Miranda Ruano, who wrote Voces del Terruño (Voices from the Homeland), a book no one reads any more, is gone; Ambrogi speaks of nothing but Quiñónez; the Andinos write about "Politics;" Bustamante works for the court; Castellanos Rivas is now a private secretary; Guerra Trigueros no longer hears the stars falling in the eternal fountain; Julio Ávila has gone into business; Llerena doesn't speak out; Gómez Campos owns a store; Paco Bamboa is getting a Ph.D.; Salvador Cañas is busy "preparing" his students; Masferrer no longer sings; Gavidia has a radio talk show; Chacón sells insurance; Rochac talks about finances; Villacorta complains about the treasury; Vicente Rosales associates only with a select few; Miguel Angel Espino's fountain has dried up.  In short, I find myself alone in the land of reality, except for Mejía Vides, who wants to go off and paint by the water (like Gauguin in Tahiti) and Cáceres, who dreams and complains in the offices of Atlacatl.
            Yes, what I wouldn't do to bring you to this country of mine, that is not illusory, like yours, but hill after hill and rolling meadows where roosters crow at daybreak; where there is no statute pertaining to this or that, but rather the pleasant shade of a tree; where there is no clause or sub-paragraph number four, but rather a spring to quench your thirst; where the rain, the moon and the wind are the rule of law.
            Poetic, yes, it's true; but poetic regarding the dust of the earth and not prosaic and insipid regarding outdated concepts and antiquated doctrines.  Poetic under the blue sky and not petty buried beneath an "ism."
            As you requested, I have come down to earth and planted my feet on solid ground, but on my earth, not yours, which is neither solid nor earth, but dark smoke.  I have done it because you insisted, because you finally managed to distract me from my "impractical blue rapture" and you even managed to insult me for a moment.  Hear this once and for all: I have no nation and recognize no one's nation.  My land is greater than this slice of absurdity you offer.  Much greater.  Not even the planet;
 not even the cosmos . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment